The Newport Beach Junior Lifeguard Program is an ocean-based program for youth ages 9 to 15. It focuses on educating participants to recognize potential hazardous conditions associated with an ever-changing aquatic environment. Activities will center on ocean skill building, physical fitness, and lifeguarding skills.
Lessons, skills, and events JGs accomplish each summer include:
- Learning and exemplifying the 3 R's...Respect, Represent, Responsible
- Entering and exiting the water safely
- Negotiating the surf and shorebreak
- Buoy swims
- Long distance ocean swims
- Body surfing
- Long distance runs
- Identifying and swimming out of a rip current
- Lifeguard safety and skills
- Basic first aid and personal safety
- Team building and good sportsmanship
Each week staff teach JGs new skills to build their ocean abilities and prepare them for the activities that take place throughout the program.
At the end of summer, Junior Lifeguards will be tested on the skills and knowledge they’ve learned throughout the program.
Program Dates & Times
2023 Dates: June 20 - August 3, 2023
Hours of Operation: Monday through Thursday
Who Can Participate?
- AGE: The program is open to youth ages 9 to 15. Age deadlines are based on participant's age on June 30 of the current year's program.
- SWIM REQUIREMENT: All participants must pass the required NBJG swim test in order to enroll in the Program. Swim tests typically take place in March.
- Participants do not have to be Newport Beach residents to enroll in the program.
JGs are divided into four different age groups--Division D, Division C, Division B, and Division A. Age groups are based on participant's age on June 30 of the current program year.
Participant Age on June 30, 2023:
- 9 years old = Division D
- 10 or 11 years old = Division C
- 12 or 13 years old = Division B
- 14 or 15 years old = Division A
Each age group has a different swim time requirement, so be sure your participant is preparing for the correct swim test time.
How & When do I Sign-Up?
- January 10: Create or update your NBJG account. Accounts must be updated annually.
- February 1: Log in to your NBJG account and reserve a swim test time for each of your participants. Swim test reservations open at February 1 at 8:30 a.m.
- March: NBJG swim test tryouts. See swim test page for specific dates and additional details.
- April: Registration payment windows open for participants who passed a 2023 NBJG swim test.
Click here for information on how to enroll.
How Much does the Program Cost?
Still have questions? Check our our FAQs