Newport Beach Junior Lifeguard Uniform Standard
The uniform standard protects the well-being of the Junior Lifeguard program environment and fosters Junior Lifeguards’ success in a positive manner. The uniform standard covers how uniforms are to be worn in the program as well as what garments are permissible. The Newport Beach Junior Lifeguard program may amend these guidelines during the Junior Lifeguard Program if deemed to be in the best interest of the program and/or its participants.
Newport Beach Junior Lifeguard Program Uniform & Issued Gear:
The issued uniform and gear consists of:
• One or two-piece Swimsuit (for female Junior Lifeguards)
Junior Lifeguards shall wear uniforms in accordance with the standards below.
• Junior Lifeguards shall report daily in uniform with their issued gear.
• Uniforms represent the professionalism of the City, the Fire Department and Lifeguard Division.
• Uniforms shall be neat and clean.
• Only uniforms of the current calendar year shall be worn during the Newport Beach Junior Lifeguard Program.
• Garments are to be worn in the manner for which they were designed.
• For the duration of the summer Junior Lifeguard Program, Junior Lifeguard uniforms are to be worn ONLY while the program is in session and while traveling to and from the Junior Lifeguard Program. If a Junior Lifeguard participates in beach or other activities before or after their program session, they must have a non-Junior Lifeguard change of clothes to change into.
• Junior Lifeguards should be aware that while they are in uniform, or wearing any of their Junior Lifeguard issued gear, they are highly visible within the community and should act as good representatives of the City and the Lifeguard Division.
- Junior Lifeguards shall wear the issued Junior Lifeguard boardshorts. No other boardshorts are permitted to be worn in the program.
- Boardshorts shall be worn so they sit at the waist. Boardshorts are not to be sagged, tugged, rolled, pinned, or adjusted in any way to reduce coverage.
- Junior Lifeguards who wear a one or two-piece swimsuit for the Junior Lifeguard Program, shall wear issued Junior Lifeguard one or two-piece swimsuit. No other swimsuits are permitted to be worn in in the program.
- Swimsuits must be worn in a manner that provides full coverage of the chest and buttock. All other styles of swimwear are prohibited.
- Swimsuit bottoms and tops shall not to be tugged, rolled, pinned, or adjusted in any way to reduce coverage.
- Shirts are to be tucked in at program start and roll call. The Junior Lifeguard sweatshirt is the only other permissible outerwear garment.
- Only Junior Lifeguard issued hats are to be worn during the program. Hats are to be worn with the bill/logo facing forward at program start and roll call. Junior Lifeguard of the Week and Competition hats are also allowed.
- Junior Lifeguards are encouraged to wear rashguards for sun protection. Rashguards may be purchased from a retailer.
- Recommended colors are blue, white, or gray. Bright green or bright yellow rashguards are NOT allowed as this is the color our Lifeguard staff wear.
- Rashguards shall be plain and have no print or pattern, with the exception of a small manufacturer logo.
As representatives of the City of Newport Beach, Junior Lifeguard Program, and Newport Beach Lifeguard Division, Junior Lifeguards are expected to comply with the uniform standards described herein.
Junior Lifeguard Staff have the responsibility and authority to enforce compliance of the uniform standard.
Wearing inappropriate attire to the Junior Lifeguard Program may result in the following:
1. Junior Guards will be asked to modify clothing or may be issued a compliant uniform item to the satisfaction of the Junior Guard staff.
2. For repeat offenses, parent/guardian may be contacted to meet regarding the need to establish compliance with the JG Uniform Standard.
3. If non-compliance continues, JG may be sent home from the program.
4. Continued non-compliance will result in dismissal from the program. Participants removed from the Junior Lifeguard program for just cause will not receive a refund.