The Newport Beach Junior Lifeguard Program is a youth-based program focused on educating children to recognize potential hazardous conditions associated with an ever-changing aquatic environment. It is the most popular recreational program in Newport Beach and averages over 1350 participants a year!
During the 7-week program, the Newport Beach Ocean Lifeguards teach Junior Lifeguards valuable aquatic skills, beach environment awareness, and the role of ocean lifeguards...all while having an amazing time at the beach!
Program Dates & Times
2019 Program Dates: June 25, 2019 - August 8, 2019
Days: The Program operates Monday through Thursday, with occasional Friday competitions.
Times: The NBJG Program offers a morning* and afternoon session time.
- Morning Session: 9am - 12pm*
- Afternoon Session: 1pm - 4pm
*Please Note: The Morning Session is highly impacted. Any "New JG" Families registering in 2019 will most likely be in the Afternoon Session.
Who Can Participate?
- The program is open to children ages 9 to 15. Age deadlines are based on your child(ren)'s age on June 30 of the current year's program.
- Participants must pass the required NBJG swim test in order to enroll in the Program. Swim tests typically take place in March.
- Children do not have to be Newport Beach residents to participate in the program.
How & When do I Sign-Up?
- The first step of enrollment is to create or update your NBJG account. This must be done prior to attending the NBJG swim test.
Click here for information on how to enroll.
How Much does the Program Cost?
What takes place during the program?
Participants are educated in topics such as the oceanic environment, first aid, mutual cooperation, competition techniques, and lifesaving methods. Emphasis is placed on safety, respect, physical fitness, instruction, and discipline. Junior Lifeguards participate in physical activities such as ocean swims, snorkeling, body surfing, and beach runs.
The program also emphasizes the "3Rs," which are that JGs...
- RESPECT each other, their community, and themselves.
- REPRESENT their community, the City of Newport Beach, and the Newport Beach Lifeguards in a positive way.
- Exhibit RESPONSIBILITY for their actions and set a good example for others.